It’s a beautiful thing when we can share our homes with our pets and vice versa. But there are some plants that can be harmful to both cats and dogs. It’s important to check with your vet before bringing in any new plants for the sake of safety and peace of mind. Here are 10 common toxic plants you should avoid if you have or plan on having both cats and dogs:
Philodendron is a common houseplant that can be found in many homes. Unfortunately, it’s highly toxic to both cats and dogs. The toxic agent in philodendron is calcium oxalate crystals, which are also poisonous to humans as well.
Poinsettia is a popular holiday plant, but it’s also toxic to cats and dogs. The leaves of this plant can cause irritation, vomiting and diarrhea if eaten by your pet. In some cases, poinsettia ingestion may result in mild liver damage. Poinsettias are not just dangerous for pets–they’re dangerous for humans too! If you come into contact with the sap of this plant (which you can do simply by touching it), wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water immediately after touching it so as not to get any of the toxins on your skin or clothing.
This plant is commonly known as mother-in-law’s tongue, but it’s a toxic plant for your cat or dog. If ingested, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. In large amounts it can cause liver damage.
This plant has a toxic sap that can cause rashes and irritation to humans, as well as vomiting in pets. The toxicity is due to a compound called calcium oxalate dihydrate. It’s not uncommon for people who have this plant in their homes to develop blisters on their skin after touching it.
Aloe Vera is a very common houseplant that you can find at almost any local grocery or big box store. It’s also known as a medicinal plant, but it’s poisonous to your pets! Aloe Vera contains chemicals called anthraquinones that are toxic to both cats and dogs. The symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, depression (lethargy), tremors, dilated pupils and increased heart rate.
Lily of the valley is a beautiful flower that can be found in many gardens. The plant produces small white flowers that resemble bells, and it smells like springtime. It’s also poisonous to both humans and pets. The toxicity of lily of the valley depends on how much your pet ingests, but in general, symptoms will occur within hours after ingestion and include vomiting, diarrhea and difficulty breathing due to fluid buildup in the lungs (pulmonary edema). In severe cases where large amounts have been consumed by dogs or cats (especially puppies), death may occur within 24 hours if not treated immediately with decontamination procedures such as inducing vomiting followed by administering activated charcoal (to bind up further absorption) along with intravenous fluids (IV fluids) to help eliminate toxins from their system more quickly than just relying on natural processes alone would allow for.
Daffodil and Narcissus are toxic to cats and dogs. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, depression and weakness. Daffodil leaves and bulbs are toxic; narcissus bulbs are also harmful if eaten by your pet.
Hydrangea is a beautiful flowering plant that can be found in many gardens. However, it’s also toxic to your pets. This means that if they consume the leaves or berries, they could get sick and even die. Hydrangea macrophylla is toxic to dogs and cats because it contains cyanogenic glycosides (cyanide-producing compounds). Cyanide is a chemical that occurs naturally in some plants and animals; it’s poisonous to humans as well as animals too! The toxicity of this plant varies depending on the species — some types are more potent than others.
Tulips and amaryllis are toxic to cats and dogs. Do not plant these flowers in your garden, as they are potentially deadly to your pets. If you have tulips or amaryllis growing in your yard, keep them out of reach of your pets at all times! If you believe that a pet has eaten any part of a tulip or amaryllis plant, contact the vet immediately for treatment advice.
As you can see, there are many plants that are toxic to humans and pets. It’s important for pet owners to know this information so they can protect their animals from harm. If you have any questions about these plants or others not listed here, please comment down below!